Open Mic Series
Open mics provide an opportunity for singers to practice their performing skills and to try out new material with a professional accompanist. Depending upon attendance, each participant can plan to perform two or more songs. There will also be a “featured” vocalist each month who will sing a short set. Vocalists of all ages and all styles. Hosted by Celia Slattery with a different professional accompanist each month. Please bring sheet music in your key or feel free to bring your guitar and accompany yourself!
Where: Cafe at the Somerville Armory
When: First Thursdays, Feb. 5, March 5, April 2, May 7, June 4: 7:30 PM
Tickets: $12/gen, $10/BACA and studio members, $7 listeners
Feb. 5: Accompanist Joe Reid; with feature Thomas Casey
Mar. 5: Accompanist Joe Reid; feature Jeffrey Gordon
Apr. 2: Accompanist Bill Duffy; feature Gail Leondar-Wright
May 7: Accompanist Bill Duffy; feature Phil Kassel
June 4: Accompanist Bill Duffy; feature Sheryl Altman
Vocal Master Class
with Celia Slattery
Functional Voice Training through SVW*
A strong, healthy instrument is the foundation for singing freely and expressively in any style. This workshop will provide students with an understanding of voice function and give them with tools they can use immediately to improve their performances. In this interactive workshop students will discover:
- The major muscle groups that coordinate in singing, and how to train them to work at peak efficiency;
- How to sing in chest, head, and “mix” registers, and how to “belt” safely;
- How to improve their breath support;
- How to fit their sound with their musical style;
- How to bring more authentic expression into their voice.
The workshop will be conducted using individual and group exercises and individual coaching. Students should come prepared with two songs that they know, with sheet music or lead sheets in their key. Accompanist provided.
The workshop will be followed by an (optional) showcase where participants will perform 1-2 songs each for invited friends and family. Participation limited to ten singers. There is additional limited room for auditors (observers).
When: Sunday, March 1, 12:00 PM – 4:30 PM followed by (optional) showcase
Where: Celia Slattery Voice and Performance Studio, Davis Square, Somerville
Cost: $125 participants; $75 auditors
* Somatic Voicework™ (The Lovetri Method) is a state-of-the-art technique that draws upon the best in traditional classical training as well as the latest research in Voice science and Medicine, and it is specifically designed for contemporary styles.